If there’s one thing you ought to do to better understand the people around you is to figure out what makes them tick. It is endlessly fascinating and almost an obsession of mine.
It’s not easy to do, neither is it something most people are interested in. But it is worthwhile to put in the effort to know the people around you more deeply. To know why they act or do the things they do. Just one piece of information, what makes them tick, is so powerful that you can have an instant bond with a person you met a few minutes ago, just as someone can be a complete stranger even if you might have known them for years. When you understand what drives someone, everything they do no matter how irrational, it starts to make sense.
How deeply do you know the people you interact with on a regular basis? If you’re interested, here are a few questions you can ask them to get a feel for their internal compass.
- What is the one thing you would do even if you never got paid for it?
- What characteristics do you adore in people?
- Who’s your childhood best friend and what’s your favorite thing about them?
- What is your biggest regret and what would you do differently if given a chance again and why?
- What do you consider your biggest failure?
- What is something you are really proud of, and what makes that achievement special?
- Who do you idolize in the family and why?
- What is the one characteristic you wish you had?
- What would you do if you somehow got that characteristic overnight?
- What are you most afraid of not achieving in life?
Get to know the people around you, or if not, at least get to know yourself.